Sunday, March 17, 2013

Fun with Organization

During the hibernation season, I took on some small organizational projects around the house.

First up, our kitchen cabinet that previously held all our pots, pans and assorted lids. After battling the Jenga process to get the right pan and then find the corresponding lid one too many times, I decided to find a solution.

I went to Lowe's and found this Rev-A-Shelf system. It's a littler pricier than I had hoped, but there were no other options. It was fairly easy to install (but remember, I like putting together furniture). Now I have spots for all our pans, lids, and assorted pie dishes. The main drawback is that our large stock pots and dutch oven do not fit, so I had to find room for them elsewhere. Also, our cast iron skillet and another saute pan with both a long handle and a short handle on the opposite side sometimes have trouble fitting together so that they don't hit the top rack but still allow the bottom rack to slide all the way to the back to shut the cabinet door.




Next up was our spice collection. We both enjoy cooking and have amassed a large quantity of spices that took up precious cabinet space (and contained several duplicate jars). I already had two magnetic bars that I used to store/display some spices, but was recently gifted 4 additional bars from our friends. These are Grundtals from IKEA. I used magnetic spice containers from Bed, Bath & Beyond and from the Container Store, which conveniently came with clear labels. Installation was straightforward (used plastic anchors and a level).  Now I have a place to display all our spices, from Allspice to White Pepper!



No comments:

Post a Comment